Friday, March 02, 2007

Wesley Clark: US planned to take out seven countries in five years (video)

See it yourself:




General Wesley Clarke about the US plans for future wars:

About ten days after 9/11, I went through the Pentagon and I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz. I went downstairs just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me, and one of the generals called me in.

He said, “Sir, you’ve got to come in and talk to me a second.”
I said, “Well, you’re too busy.”
He said, “No, no.” He says, “We’ve made the decision we’re going to war with Iraq.”

This was on or about the 20th of September.

I said, “We’re going to war with Iraq? Why?”
He said, “I don’t know.” He said, “I guess they don’t know what else to do.”

So I said, “Well, did they find some information connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda?” He said, “No, no.” He says, “There’s nothing new that way. They just made the decision to go to war with Iraq.” He said, “I guess it’s like we don’t know what to do about terrorists, but we’ve got a good military and we can take down governments.” And he said, “I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail.”

So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan.

I said, “Are we still going to war with Iraq?”

And he said, “Oh, it’s worse than that.” He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, “I just got this down from upstairs” -- meaning the Secretary of Defense’s office -- “today.” And he said, “This is a memo that describes how we’re going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran.
Wesley Clark about the Middle East and the America's interests in the Middle East:

The truth is, about the Middle East is, had there been no oil there, it would be like Africa. Nobody is threatening to intervene in Africa. The problem is the opposite. We keep asking for people to intervene and stop [the wars in Africa].

There's no question that the presence of petroleum throughout the [Middle East] has sparked great power involvement. Whether that was the specific motivation for the coup or not, I can't tell you. But there was definitely -- there's always been this attitude that somehow we could intervene and use force in the region.


Whole Article: Democracy Now!

1 comment:

Sam McGee said...

Wesley Clark is a wolf in sheep's clothing!

I caught his interview on DemocracyNow, too, but he actually let this information out years ago in his book Winning Modern Wars. (p. 130)

He neglects a key point when talking to Amy Goodman: He knew the administration was planning to invade Iraq in 2001, but he kept his mouth shut while they made up stories about WMD and let them go to war.

He also drops a carefully crafted lie which will probably start to figure more in the near future, relating to Africa.

"If the Middle East didn't have oil it would be like Africa."

WOULD be? Africa DOES have oil, and that is precisely why it HAS been a bloody mess lately, and why we can expect more and more military involvement in the coming months.

Notice the last 2 on Clark's list: Somalia and Sudan.

Coincidence that the US has made air strikes and moved (mercenary) troops into Somalia? Coincidence that just today a US judge found Sudan responsible for an act of terrorism 10 years ago, while the UN simultaneously issued a report claiming the government can't control its own people?

AS for the wars being planned for years, that is certain, although the specifics I am sure change a lot over time.

Post a Comment